Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sveiki Visiems!!!
Al- that's way sweet that your papers are in. I hope that by some miracle you get called here Lithuanian speaking, then we could talk in Lithuanian together- it'd be sweet. Quite unlikely of course, but I can dream right?
First, I was inspired to lead our district meeting on the topic of seizing the day, which we had set in our District Vision, and clarified some as talking with everyone. I had been pondering that throughout the week and then Monday night, Elder Sherman called saying that the zone leaders wanted to do another exchange focusing on talking with everyone, specifically on buses. They would be working with Elder Hyer on that as well. Elder Hyer was less than thrilled, since bus contacting is not one of the favorite activities of missionaries here. I then incorporated that idea very specifically into District Meeting addressing the concerns everyone had, since i knew the push was coming from higher up and I could relate more directly and helpfully with all of the individual members of my district. We did that and at the end of District Meeting everyone committted to seize the day and bus contact. I promised that God would provide blessings for that effort, proportional to the effort that was put forth.
Second, Tuesday after District Meeting, Elder Hyer and I were going harvesting, we got on a bus and both contacted people. As we harvested that night we recieved and contacted two referrals, had a new lesson, and got a new investigator. I know that that is because we put forth the effort to contact on buses and talk with everyone.
Third, on Sunday, I was translating for some students that are here teaching English and learning Russian, kinda. THere are four of them, so we used this microphone and headset dealio that we have so one person translated and they all could hear. One of the talks was on family history and the Spirit of Elijah, which I had been thinking about since looking at the geneology chart and recently rereading Elder Bednar's talk in conference. I haven't really felt a connection or desire to learn about my ancestors before, I don't know why, I just never really felt it. The speaker talked about that being innate in everyone- the desire to connect generations- it's just buried a little more in some people. As she spoke, I felt a growing desire and then at the end she testified of the reality of that spirit, and of feeling it herself, brought to the verge of tears, as I translated I felt that, and felt the reality of the Spirit of Elijah and now have a desire to do family history, it's like detective work, trying to find the missing pieces. It was wonderful.
I went on a couple exchanges this week. They went well.
Oh, something funny that happened. I was talking to a man on the bus, who had some interesting ideas. One of which being that he could have saved the world better than Christ did. I was shocked when he said that, so I clarified asking if he really had just said that he would have been a better saviour than Jesus Christ and he said yes. The lack of understanding is astounding and amusing, sometimes.
Also, there will be a primary program here next week. They practiced for it yesterday and we were there to help keep the peace. It was incredibly, terribly hilarious. I feel pained for the primary teachers that they need to deal with that, but it will be enjoyable to watch next week. Laughter's the best medicine, right?
I love all of you. I love serving and love the Gospel. It is incredible.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas

1 comment:

  1. I have a few pictures of Elder Hilton I'd like to send you! Could you send me your email address? bmayz@msn.com :)

    ReplyDelete