Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Sveiki Visiems!!
Well, first of all, transfers are this week, hopefully I can remain with Elder Warner, but whatever happens is what should happen.
Usually for the second hour we go the Gospel Principles class, for investigators and recent converts/ youth, so I'm not sure what the schedule is for Gospel Doctrine. We talked about prayer and thought about what prayer and other simple gospel things meant to us personally.

Ella- I am excellent. Church was good. There was a guest, who works for the Church filming things. He was looking for people to highlight on Mormon.org as a part of the I am a Mormon ad campaign deal. He's been touring all over the world, pretty crazy. Crazier is that he used to be Elder Warner's neighbor, long, long ago. I led the lesson in aaronic priesthood, we have two aaronic priesthood holders here, one's 12 and the other's 14, as well as a few investigators about that age, so we have a separate class for them. We talked about eternal families. It went fairly well.
We had a lesson with Tomas on Sunday, which could have gone better, but what can you do. We ate salmon and mashed potatoes for dinner. It was scrumptious.
A couple miracles to share this week.
First, Rita, a recent convert, taught by Elders Warner and Manning, was in Vilnius for one last day, before being fulltime in Kaunas as a student. We were able to meet with her and have a fantastic lesson. Elder Warner was back earlier than expected from Riga, so he was able to help teach, much to his delight. She is doing well and has a great grasp on the gospel and the power of Christ and his Atonement.

Second, Tomas. A small miracle and tender moment that we had this week. We were talking to him on the phone and it was a fairly average conversation, more just to occupy him so he wouldn't smoke than anything else. We then somehow arrived to the topic of prayer and his testimony. He said that he had never really felt anything while praying, as he expressed this concern he began to cry. He really wants to feel and know for himself, but had never had that experience, or if he did, didn't recognize it. It was incredibly touching that it was important enough that he would cry over it. As that began to happen, Elder Warner began to praise him for his good desires and overall goodness. We changed tactic to lifting him and testifying that God does care and love him because he wants to do what's right. It showed that he really does want to know, in the deepest part of himself.

We met more with Tomas throughout the week. Some lessons went well, others not. Elder Warner and I both receive so much revelation for him, it's amazing how much God loves him and wants him to be helped.


Hilarious story to share. First, a little background. There's a man who lives here named Boyd Hale. He comes from the well known city of Preston, ID. He was a doctor there, and came here and is married to a Russian woman. He's a little unique and says a lot of things that would be better left unsaid, but he's an enjoyable character if you don't take what he says to seriously.
Saturday there was a baptism in the Russian branch, which we went to with Tomas. Boyd and his wife were there, because they attend the Russian Branch and his wife was probably friends with the woman being baptized. Afterward, we were walking to the bus stop, which Boyd was also walking to. He comes with us and his wife checks a different bus stop to see which is faster. He then says to me "You should grow a goatee when you get back from your mission. Without mine, I have the exact same profile as you and a goatee is much cheaper than plastic surgery to give you a bigger chin." At this point his wife comes and drags him away to another bus stop. Elder Warner and I laugh about it, because it's a bit amusing.
Sunday morning. We got to church early because we were going to teach Tomas a lesson. When we arrive the Russian branch was about to start their third hour, so everyone was in the foyer. Boyd immediately hooks his arm in mine and leads me to the couch so he can explain himself. We sit down and he starts to explain how he wanted a chance to lovingly say what he meant. He didn't mean to bombard me with some random comment, so he had prayed for the chance to lovingly explain where he came from , so I would understand what he had meant. He then proceeds to explain how when he went to medical school in the Phillipines there was a presentation once by a plastic surgeon. The best presentation he had ever seen in his entire medical career. The surgeon was talking about how the most beautiful face, from the profile, you can draw a straight line from the nose to the chin. He showed some examples and then took examples from the class. one being Boyd's profile. He then asked the class what they could do beautify Boyd. Some suggested to cut his nose or lips, others to break his jaw and slide it forward, etc. Boyd didn't like any of those options, so he grew a goatee. Which gives the illusion that his chin is closer to his nose. A cheaper alternative to plastic surgery. Boyd also told me how flexible the Church is with facial hair, although there are some narrow minded people. 'You have to be some what of a rebel, like me to do it.' Hilarious. So, should I grow one, after graduating from BYU, of course? ;)
That was our week. It was good. I pray for you and appreciate your prayers. I love you and Lithuania. I absolutely adore serving. It is magnificent beyond description. Enjoy further your week. I think I answered all your questions. I was kinda thinking all over the place, so sorry if the email is way jumpy and randomly fit together, but I think I said all I wanted to say.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas

No comments:

Post a Comment