Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Sveiki Visiems!!
I'm sorry that you all have school tomorrow, but ya know- you gotta do what you gotta do. Just remember that it'll be better if you try and like it. Since you have to go and do might as well enjoy doing, unless you enjoy being miserable.
Answers: The guy I was talking to just started pulling my tie off and Elder Warner thought he was going to choke me, so he ran over and pushed the guys arm off, but since he ws holding my tie, it came off in his hands.
no we don't have to wear gas masks. We do have smoke and CO detectors. Elder Whicker's and Elder Rich's went off last Sunday, so they spent the night with us, but they aired out their apartment and everything was fine.

With translating we rotate some. Elder Whicker hates doing it, so he doesn't. Elder Warner plays the piano, so he usually doesn't. Elder Carrol has and I don't mind, so often I do translate, yes. I translated again this past week actually, it's fun, Elder Warner overheard some and said that I did a good job, which was cool to hear.
Dad, the idea of Fear is very interesting. I've thought a lot about it in a general sense, especially while I was studying the Christlike attributes. I noticed that they are all very connected, I prefer to find the source in Charity, especially based on the scripture in Moroni that Charity is the only thing without end and that all else will fail. Along with that is 1 John 4:18, that perfect love casteth out fear and that if you have fear, you don't love. I came to the conclusion that all positive attributes lead to the source of Charity and that their opposing negative attributes can be traced back to Fear. An interesting idea, since fear is a very accepted element of life, but in reality we shouldn't fear anything as we gain the gift of Charity. I don't know what my list of fears would be, it's something I've thought about on and off, especially because a popular get to know you question is: what's your biggest fear. I don't know. Just some interesting thoughts. We actually shared that scripture with Tomas this week because he seems to be afraid of something, which is causing his drastic switches between wanting baptism and not. We don't know what it is but just taught him that God's love can remove all fears in his life. I shared that experience when I was in Kaunas on the bus and the drunk guy was yelling at us. Then I tried to feel God's love for him and he immediately calmed down. It was a good lesson.
This week was quite wonderful. As always, I'll start from the miracles.

First, Tomas. He had expressed a strong desire to be baptized, again, but then turned around and said he didn't want to. That was a little dissappointing for us, since we've been trying to do everything that we can to help him come unto Christ. We came to the conclusion that our approach would be to go at his pace. Express our dissappointment when he didn't do something, but to show our love always as well. He matured quite a bit after our decision and a lesson with a member- Luiza, just recently baptized. She testified strongly and did a magnificent job in the lesson. It didn't have an immediate impact, but later in the week, Tomas was more serious. He listened and we were actually able to fully teach and have a fairly normal lesson. It was fantastic.

Second, Saulius. He is still seemingly under the influence of some substance. He expressed a strong desire to change and be baptized and do whatever it took for that to happen. He also has developed a relationship of trust with us, offering to make some calls and get our phone back for us. I hope that he will be able to overcome his addictions by relying on Christ.

Third, is a small happening. While Elder Warner and I were returning from Kaunas after exchanges, there were two young people behind us. They heard us speaking English and then asked where we were from and we had a nice conversation about why we are here, testifying of prophets and we were able to share a little about the Book of Mormon. They weren't incredibly interested, but at least we were able to give them a taste of the truth and leave a positive impression that can be built on later.

Besides the aforementioned lessons, we met with two recent converts- Vitalij and Erik. With Vitalij we takled about the healing power of the Atonement and how through Christ all mankind can be saved, if they so choose.

We discussed the Gospel of Jesus Christ with Erik, sharing the connections between the steps and refreshing that doctrine for him. It went quite well.

On my exchange with Elder Manning, we met with Ieva. The lesson went wonderfully. We taught the law of Chastity, mostly reading from True to the Faith. She understood and accepted it. We were also able to resolve some of her concerns about repentance. We then talked to her about talking to her parents and how she needs to do that, especially now that they know that she is meeting with us. Her parents are quite against the Church and want to speak to our leaders. Ieva is still quite set on baptism, I just hope that her family life won't become difficult because of her righteous choices. I'll let you know what happens.
Enjoy your week back at school. It's an exciting adventure. I know this idea will probably not appeal to you at all, but I just had the thought pop into my head, so I'll share it: Set some goals for what you want to accomplish this school year. Academically, but also spiritually. I would suggest even some missionary work goals, since every member is a missionary. I know it's rough, but just pray about it and share things that are exciting in a normal cool way. I don't know exactly how to do that, but you can practice in home evening or something. It'll be fun and excellent. Just a thought. I love Lithuania. I love all of you. I love Elder Warner and serving with him. He's awesome. Thanks for your prayers and I pray for you. Find joy in the journey.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas

No comments:

Post a Comment