Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Sveiki Visiems!

First, this week was a little sad, but unreal. We had our last interviews with President Dance and our last zone conference, also making it probably the last time we will see him, until a reunion or something. Sad. Zone Conference was very good. They told us about their call, so we would know and have an idea of what the Boswell's just went through. The interview was great, we just talked a bit and at the end I asked for advice, if he could give me any advice, what would that advice be. He said that he'd been thinking about that and that he actually had wanted to tell me, so I was inspired to ask that question. Then he started saying that intellectually I've had great achievements throughout my life and that things that way come very easily, that learning lithuanian has stretched me some, but not that much. Also that a mission is about stretching yourself and becoming fully well rounded. He said that there are some times when I seem to hesitate just a bit, and to work on those. THen he paused and said I don't think I could say this to any other missionary here. Paused thoughtfully again considering that statement. Then said, no, I couldn't say this to anyone else. 'Have some reckless abandon'. I know I can say that to you (me) because your reckless abandon will be within the boundaries of the rules. He said to just be a little wild, try new things, experiment. Find those areas that are uncomfortable and focus on them stretching myself. I've been thinking aobut that and how to have 'reckless abandon'. It was interesting advice, that I will follow.

Second, some entertaining anecdotes from the week.
Monday we were contacting and I contacted this guy, wearing white pants, a white shirt tucked in with some japanese flower girl design, and using an umbrella as a cane. He totally stops, turns towards us and says "Do you want somethin'?" (in English), then the equivalent in Lithuanian. He had a strange accent, so I asked him if he spoke English. He replied perfectly. This time I caught the Australian pirate accent. I asked how he learned, he replied that for 50 yrs he lived in Australia, so then I asked if he was Lithuanian, yes full-blooded. Then I said we were missionaries and he told us to try and save these parasites. That all the people with any good in them left, leaving behind these. He sneered, gesturing to the people on the street with his umbrella. These bandits, parasites, and liars. Try and save them. Save them. Save them. He muttered the last directions almost to himself as he walked away leaning on his umbrella. He also had an accent in Lithuanian, Australian pirate again. Super strange.

A lady from finland asked if she could take our pictures. We said sure. They even prominently featured our copies of the Book of Mormon.

Last night, this happened in sequence almost exactly one after the other, we contacted First, a man who wanted to hear about the 144,000 who would go to Heaven, when i replied that we didn't believe only 144,000 would be saved, he said he wasn't interested. Second, a crazy man who muttered at us and then began to growl in our direction. and Third a man who crossed us with his finger to protect himself from our evil Spirit or something.

Tadas. Finally after about two weeks of no contact except via phone we met. He, of his own accord, decided to try and fully live the Word of Wisdom, giving up coffee, which he previously was using to stay awake to study and be attentive in class. He is still reading and praying and trying to do what's right.

Du Wei. We met and he told us that he was at a turning point in his life. He could choose now to follow Christ and be blessed or he could choose to follow Satan, end up wealthy and 'soulless in a BMW'. He came to Church on Sunday, to me signifying his desire at the moment to follow Christ.

We again had the opportunity to run into Algimantas on Laisves. We talked about authority and reviewed that, since he didn't really understand why he would need to be baptized again. We then testified of the Book of Mormon being the key to finding out if what we say is true. He's been reading, so we invited him to pray about what he read.

Another small miracle saved us from having what could have become a heated argument with a drunk man. We were waiting for our bus and a drunk man approaches us looking rather upset. He then proceeds to talk to us in English asking why we don't speak Lithuanian and how we could think about helping people if we only speak English. He was starting to get worked up, when our bus pulled up, we said goodbye and hopped on, driving away.

Well, that's about all for this week. Transfers are on Thursday. I love Lithuania and the Lithuanian people. I Love all of you. Thanks for your prayers and know that I pray for you. May you all have a wonderful, beautiful, and worthwhile week.

Love,

Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas

No comments:

Post a Comment