Sveiki Visiems!
I haven't really been sick ever, when I was with Elder Whicker I started to get a little cold and sore throat, but he doctored me up, making sure I drank chicken broth at night and in the morning and drank loads of water, he knew what to do due to his health training for when he worked at a nursing home. That was really the only sickness I've had.
Not a ton to report this week, since we had zone conference and then Elder Sanford and I were in Vilnius for a couple days, our working week was shortened.
We started off in Vilnius after zone conference, because I had a very terrible ingrown toenail, that I probably should have taken care of earlier, but it didn't really hurt and you know how I am with things, I was just hoping it would heal itself. Anyway, we went to the hospital and the numbed me up and cut away. We were hoping to leave that day, but needed to stay so they could change the dressing Wednesday morning. It was a bit nerve-wracking since they spoke broken English and my vocab in Lithuanian is rather limited, but everything got worked out. Unfortunately, I'm not supposed to wakl too much for the next week, which limits our ability to work and is frustrating for me because I just want to get out and do something and feel rather useless sitting in our apartment, but we were still able to get some teaching in and move the work forward.
We met with Ainis again, this time we brought Dovile with us, and taught about desire and God answering prayers. Dovile added a powerful testimony of the truthfulness of that and was a great asset to the lesson. Ainis seemed agreeing and wanted us to teach some doctrine rather than ramble about his questions that we couldn't answer. He also came to Church yesterday, which was absolutely fantastic. Everyone greeted him and seemed excited to see him there.
For English class, Elder Sanford and I decided to speak in British accents the whole time, because we had heard that Lithuanians can't really tell the difference between accents in English. The class didn't say anything the whole time, although whether they didn't notice or not, I'm not quite sure. Tomas and Dovile, who have started to come, noticed and asked why we were talking funny, but the rest of the class was silent on the matter.
After English class the Branch had a Valentine's Day activity. It was quite enjoyable. We played a bunch of games and invited our English class to come, a few people did. One girl, Amelia (Emilija) came and seemed to make friends with Tomas and Dovile which was sweet.
On Sunday as we were walking to the bus before Church, a man stopped us and asked if Christ really existed. We said yes. He then began to speak incredibly broken English mixed with Lithuanian. He was asking something about priests, little kids, and Egypt, and how that could happen if Christ was real. We said we didn't know why, but tried to explain, but he kept interrupting us. He then said he wanted...(looking upwards and pointing towards the sky), which I guess means he wants to go to heaven, but not really sure. He kept asking why, in English and then spitting out Lithuanian words, not even sentences. Finally we just said that we needed to go and left. Still not quite sure what he wanted to know.
President Blindaruk gave us all a copy of the Russian alphabet with the Lithuanian and English equivalents of the letters, so we can learn how to read and sing in Russian. I worked on getting it down yesterday and have it almost memorized. I wrote my name in phonetic Russian and a bunch of other things as well, it looks like Alien writing or something, but it's pretty cool.
Well, that's all I got this week. Thanks for your prayers and I pray for you. I love Lithuania, and everything about it. I know I say that like every week, but I can't really explain it enough. This week is transfers, so who knows where I'll end up. We think that I'm probably leaving Klaipeda, but President Dance usually has some unexpected things happen during tranfers, so who knows. Mom and Dad, did missionaries try and predict tranfers in your missions? It's like our March Madness, everyone puts in their guess. Partially probably due to the small ness of the mission and limited options for movement, but I was just curious. Hope you all have a great week. Love Every Minute of It, like the song by Loverboy.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas
Канор Брус Хилтон (That's my name in Russian, phonetically I believe)
sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.
ReplyDeleteusually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.
i hope it works on you as well.