Couple of funny things from this week.
Ran into some Jehovah's Witnesses, again in a park trying to start a convo with a guy. They came up, two older women, and like asked who we were. Confused, about it, but eventually got that we were Mormons. Machine gunned us with questions like not even allowing us time to answer. Asked if we believed in the Bible, I pulled out this small New Testament I had bought, she just said it didn't matter because it was small or something, but then she wanted to whip out some verse for us, but neither she nor her 'companion' even had any sort of scripture, a bit ironic. She was telling us that we had chosen the incorrect path, so I just asked her if she knew why I was here. She said no, so I told her that I had prayed about the Book of Mormon and the Church and that God, himself had told me it was true. Wasn't much she could say to that. She berated us with some more questions and then eventually told us to go home, pray and repent for leading people to Hell, asking us to forgive her. I said we would. It was just funny to me, like she was flipping out and we were just calmly trying to explain why we were here.
In English class we ended up talking about superstitions- it started since a class member made a comment about someone's bag on the ground, saying that all their money would leave, a superstition here- they don't set anything on the ground, always on a chair or table or something. So we eventually wandered our way to good luck charms, i mentioned a four-leaf clover, they didn't know those words in English, or by my poorly drawn clover, it wasn't in the dictionary we had, so I asked if they knew what a leprechaun was, still no. So then I drew a rainbow and a pot of Gold to explain a leprechaun so they would know about a four leaf clover. No luck- haha, probably because I didn't have one myself. Funny stuff. They just got more and more confused the harder I tried to explain it.
Studied patience a bit this week. Decided the greatest example of patience based in faith and hope, can be found in The Karate Kid. We are all the Karate Kid, God is represented by Mr Mijagi. He knows what will mold us into the greatest karate masters the world has ever known. He asks us to do some things, sometimes without explaining why. Examples include, waxing on and off, painting a fence, catching flies with chop sticks, and caring for bonsai trees. All seemingly insignificant and unrelated to his development as a Karate master but ultimately the steps of success. We too must blindly, patiently follow our personal master like Mr Mijagi, The Master- Jesus Christ, to become a gospel master, disciple of Christ.
Algimantas. A few weeks ago, Elder Sherman and I taught him, he lives outside Kaunas and wouldn't pray, but said he would read the Book of Mormon and call us when he had read some. This week Elder Leishman and I saw him on a bench and sat down and talked to him. He had read and we were able to talk about the Plan of Salvation. We invited him to be baptized. He said he had been, so we reviewed authority and that he would need to be baptized again. He agreed to think about it. At the end of the lesson, whereas before he was very against praying with us, this time he readily agreed.
Algirdas. We found him harvesting, he is pretty Catholic, but wanted to learn what we believed. We taught some about our beliefs, then he said he didn't have much time, so we left a Restoration pamphlet, committed him to read it and then set up a return appointment. He was willing, said he would definitely read the pamphlet. We meet with him again this Tuesday.
We couldn't meet with Tadas, but he came to Church and enjoyed it more than the previous week. We'll meet and teach him again this Saturday or Sunday.
We met with Du Wei, he's working hard and was very excited about learning about the Christlike attributes in Preach My Gospel.
Elder Leishman is awesome. It's great working with him. I love Lithuania, I know I say that over and over, but I can't say it enough. I appreciate your prayers and pray for you. Good luck as you push the last bit through the school year.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas
PS I still write in my journal and also have a study journal for my more Gospel oriented thoughts.
Ran into some Jehovah's Witnesses, again in a park trying to start a convo with a guy. They came up, two older women, and like asked who we were. Confused, about it, but eventually got that we were Mormons. Machine gunned us with questions like not even allowing us time to answer. Asked if we believed in the Bible, I pulled out this small New Testament I had bought, she just said it didn't matter because it was small or something, but then she wanted to whip out some verse for us, but neither she nor her 'companion' even had any sort of scripture, a bit ironic. She was telling us that we had chosen the incorrect path, so I just asked her if she knew why I was here. She said no, so I told her that I had prayed about the Book of Mormon and the Church and that God, himself had told me it was true. Wasn't much she could say to that. She berated us with some more questions and then eventually told us to go home, pray and repent for leading people to Hell, asking us to forgive her. I said we would. It was just funny to me, like she was flipping out and we were just calmly trying to explain why we were here.
In English class we ended up talking about superstitions- it started since a class member made a comment about someone's bag on the ground, saying that all their money would leave, a superstition here- they don't set anything on the ground, always on a chair or table or something. So we eventually wandered our way to good luck charms, i mentioned a four-leaf clover, they didn't know those words in English, or by my poorly drawn clover, it wasn't in the dictionary we had, so I asked if they knew what a leprechaun was, still no. So then I drew a rainbow and a pot of Gold to explain a leprechaun so they would know about a four leaf clover. No luck- haha, probably because I didn't have one myself. Funny stuff. They just got more and more confused the harder I tried to explain it.
Studied patience a bit this week. Decided the greatest example of patience based in faith and hope, can be found in The Karate Kid. We are all the Karate Kid, God is represented by Mr Mijagi. He knows what will mold us into the greatest karate masters the world has ever known. He asks us to do some things, sometimes without explaining why. Examples include, waxing on and off, painting a fence, catching flies with chop sticks, and caring for bonsai trees. All seemingly insignificant and unrelated to his development as a Karate master but ultimately the steps of success. We too must blindly, patiently follow our personal master like Mr Mijagi, The Master- Jesus Christ, to become a gospel master, disciple of Christ.
Algimantas. A few weeks ago, Elder Sherman and I taught him, he lives outside Kaunas and wouldn't pray, but said he would read the Book of Mormon and call us when he had read some. This week Elder Leishman and I saw him on a bench and sat down and talked to him. He had read and we were able to talk about the Plan of Salvation. We invited him to be baptized. He said he had been, so we reviewed authority and that he would need to be baptized again. He agreed to think about it. At the end of the lesson, whereas before he was very against praying with us, this time he readily agreed.
Algirdas. We found him harvesting, he is pretty Catholic, but wanted to learn what we believed. We taught some about our beliefs, then he said he didn't have much time, so we left a Restoration pamphlet, committed him to read it and then set up a return appointment. He was willing, said he would definitely read the pamphlet. We meet with him again this Tuesday.
We couldn't meet with Tadas, but he came to Church and enjoyed it more than the previous week. We'll meet and teach him again this Saturday or Sunday.
We met with Du Wei, he's working hard and was very excited about learning about the Christlike attributes in Preach My Gospel.
Elder Leishman is awesome. It's great working with him. I love Lithuania, I know I say that over and over, but I can't say it enough. I appreciate your prayers and pray for you. Good luck as you push the last bit through the school year.
Love,
Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas
PS I still write in my journal and also have a study journal for my more Gospel oriented thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment