Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Sveiki Visiems!

Šventų Velykų! (Happy Easter)

I hope that your Easter was great. It was a fairly big holiday here, in fact today is still some holiday in connection with Easter. We saw some fronds last week, the sisters actually were given some on a bus, which was kinda funny.

We don't have assigned topics as a mission, we study daily from Preach My Gospel, but we can study basically whatever we feel we should. Although I think that having a topic in mind as studying or even just reading from anything to apply it in different ways is helpful. Good to hear that Jace is enjoying himself.

We can call on mother's day, don't really know details yet, but would probably be about the same time as last time. We should have more info next week.

Yes the new mission president comes in July, it will be different, but we talked a little bit with the Dances about it when they were here last week. They are planning on them doing zone conferences and interviews basically the day they get here, so we'll get acquainted quick.

I'll start with some amusing happenings.

We were talking with a guy on a bench in a park when a drunk guy approached us and started to talk to us. I was hoping he would just ask a couple questions and then leave so we could continue teaching, that didn't quite happen, so Elder Sherman started to talk to him while I continued to teach the guy on the bench. Then a hammered friend of the drunk guy comes up. The drunk man defends us from his hammered friend, telling him to just go sit on a different bench and wait for him. He leaves and shortly after the drunk guy leaves as well. We then finished up our lesson.

Remember the guy that I contacted on a bus and then wanted to come to Church? Rimantas is his name. we have been trying to meet with him this week, but he couldn't. Sunday we called and he said he worked all day, but he could talk at eight when he would be alone. Then he asked if i was married, I said no, but plan on marrrying sometime when I go back to America. That was that. We then got home and called him at eight, putting the phone on speaker so we could have a lesson via phone, the first I've had. He starts by saying that we misunderstand one another. He mentioned something about feelings and love, then asked if anyone else was listening. i said, yeah, the other missionary that is always with me is. He says he can't say how he truly feels in words. Then says something about knowing i have a girl in America, but I'm young, like 20, I can't just go without those feelings and things can I? Asking if I understood him throughout this. I said, not really. So he tried again. I then said, well in our church we believe marriage is between a man and a woman. Then we taught about the law of chastity. He again said that we didn't understand one another and that we couldn't meet. I said, well if you don't want to talk about God, then no. He then described his deep utmost respect for me for a while. Then we parted ways. It was interesting...to say the least.

Now to some serious things.

This weekend in Kaunas, we had a.......BAPTISM!!!! An investigator of the other elders, a nine yr old girl, whose family are members, was baptized. There were another 5 people baptized throughout the mission. Exciting!!

Tadas, the investigator we met with last week, came to our lesson and the baptism in a suit and white shirt, all of his own accord, because he had read in the pamphlet that that was the appropriate dress for Church. He apologized profusely because he wasn't wearing a tie, showing his desire to really do what is appropriate at church. We talked about his reading in the Book of Mormon. He had 'only' read 16 chapters. He enjoyed it and said he tried to think of applications as he read instead of just reading. We also talked about the Plan of Salvation a little bit. He said that we would've had to live with God before if we went to live with him again. Almost exactly what Joseh Smith said- crazy. He volunterred to offer the closing prayer, asking for us to be blessed multiple times throughout the prayer. It was beautiful. As we walked out of the lesson to go to the baptism, we ran into Ugne, a member who has been less active recently. They knew each other and were talking having some nice member-investigator interaction. They both came to Church on Sunday, Tadas had found a tie since the night before. He really enjoyed Church and how friendly and inviting everyone was, which is great.

Giedrius, a less active we've worked with a little, and Elder Sherman and Elder Graham worked with uite often, also came to Church, the first time in years if what other members have said is correct. He really opened up the last lesson we had with him, and as he left made sure to ask us to call him to meet, the first signs of excitement about meeting I've ever seen.

We were also able to find several new lessons this week. None were quite at the point of becoming new investigators, but we were able to teach the truth and hopefully better their lives in some way. We talked with one man about prayer. He didn't believe God would answer his prayer, so we committed him to pray and ask God if he loves him. Then we talked for like 5 minutes about saying a prayer with him there, which he finally let us. We also talked with a young man, Sergiejus, about prophets. He thought we were joking. He was excited, but forbidden by his religion to go to other Churches and read their books, etc. He said he woud call us to talk and meet later, which would be excellent.

We met with Du Wei as well. It was a very good lesson. We talked about being an example to his wife, to help her join the Church, particularly through scripture study. he recognized the imortance and I hope implements that into his daily life.

Another miracle- we recieved a media referral. The first I've received on my mission, which was very exciting.

Well, I hope you all had a fantastic Easter, remembering Christ and his ressurection. I Love Lithuania, I can't say it enough. I love all of you and wish you the best.

Love,

Vyresnysis Kanoris Hiltonas

No comments:

Post a Comment