Sveiki Visiems!
First, yes mom, i did get my package at our zone conference last week. It arrived safely, thanks.
One thing I have noticed, is people helping each other. Pushing cars out of the snow, picking people up when the slip, helping old women off of buses. We've also been able to help people, which is nice. Today while shopping we actually helped a lady buy some carbonated water, the label was in English.
No, we didn't have any Christmas singing program, but we did sing a Christmas hymn. The selection is a little limited, only two in Lithuanian, luckily we sing in Russian as well, so there are more options.
I found out a coupel other Christmas traditions. People do often go to midnight mass, but we are not allowed. Also something they do, which is also a Polish birthday tradition I found out, is take four bowls and turn them upside down. Under each of the bowls is an object. Each family member picks a bowl, one at a time, so all four bowls have something under them at all times, and the object determines what the next year will be like for that person. A candle is also burning the whole time. The traditional four objects are bread, meaning the year will be poor; money, meaning the year will be rich; a ring, meaning there will be love or marriage; and a chain of holly, meaning that you'll just goof off all year.
Yes, I do know the man who translated the Book of Mormon into Lithuanian. He actually visited our branch yesterday. President Motijunas, the district president of Lithuania. He lives in Kaunas and I think is actually Russian by descent. Lithuania is still under a Russian Patriarch, who only comes once every few years and can only give blessings in Russian or English, which stops some of the members from getting them, not because they wouldn't understand, but because they want one in Lithuanian.
This week, not a ton happened because we had our conference in Vilnius for two days, which took those two days out of proselyting time, but was great. We did a nativity and a white elephant, so it was almost like being home.
Last week, we harvested into a girl who is a Hare Krishna/Catholic. Hare Krishna is a religion from India, I think. THey have a temple in the Salt Lake area and host some Color Festival thing every spring. Anyway, they are quite numerous here and are very nice people. She let us in and had met with missionaries before and had a Book of Mormon, and had been to church, knew President Blindaruk, so we were excited. She was a little odd, but very nice and open to listening. She gave us some tea, checking if it was a kind we could drink, which was very kind. We were also listening to some Indian music the whole time, which was a bit weird. Anyway, we later found out that we couldn't meet with her again, due to President Blindaruk's instruction. There was a reason missionaries stopped meeting with her. Hopefully we were able to bring her a little closer to Christ in our visit.
Met with a less active, Romas, who we have been trying to meet with for about three months. He works outside Klaipeda and that's why he's hard to get a hold of. That is also the reason he hasn't come to church. He was very nice and open and again knows that he should come, but needs to work, so he doesn't.
On Saturday we helped President Blindaruk move. Yes again. He had been kicked out of the last apartment due to a misunderstanding, so needed to move. Was nice to be able to help him out.
We met with Mykolas last night and decided after some of the things we learned at zone conference to just start teaching lessons like we would to investigators. Since it is Christmas time, we read from Luke 2 with him. I think it really touched him, and he thanked us quite profusely as we left. It was awesome to see that change in him as we talked about the importance of the Savior especially at this time of year.
Another little thing based on zone conference, a talk by president Monson ('Decisions Determine Destiny'), and a quote from Batman Begins, Ït's not who I am, but what I do, that defines me." First, our decisions reflect our desires. Our truest desires, that is. If it's not a true desire then we'll just kinda wish it to happen. Like me wanting to be a rock star. It was a 'desire', but because I never really acted according to it, it obviously wasn't rooted in my soul, therefore not being a true desire. So, our desires become decisions. Decisions lead to habits leading to a person's nature or being. Decisions, ultimately being to choose Christ or the devil, as stated in 2 Nephi 2: 27, I believe, then determine our destiny. All of us are children of God, which shows our potential, but unless we act accordingly then, our destiny will not match our potential. Our identity becomes what we choose. As the great poem Ínvictus" says 'I am the master of my fate, I am the captian of my soul.''
I look forward to talking to you on Christmas. Thanks!
Su Šventomis Kalėdomis,
Vyrensysis Kanoris Hiltonas
No comments:
Post a Comment