Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Labas!

I use my debit card oftenish. I was actually wondering how much it costs each time I take money off, or if I should just try and swipe it whenever possible.
We do use cell phones, each companionship has one. I'm not quite sure how the Christmas calls work, but I can try and find out.
Sacrament Meeting is first here.
I run in place every other day and definitely miss running. There is another missionary in Lithuania, who likes to run, so if we ever are companions, we'll probably run in the morning. I am not gaining weight and don't think I ever will, haha.
I haven't had much just plain chocolate bars, but the little I have had was delicious. Snickers bars here are much better than in America because the chocolate is much creamier. I need to try a brand of chocolate, Pergale, which is LIthuanian for victory, so it should be fantastic.
I probably won't do anything to exciting for my birthday, but I'll let ou know next week. The missionaries used to eat lunch as a district for birthdays, but that is against current President Dance policy, so it doesn't happen anymore.
Last preparation day we went to the beach, which was wonderful. I just love being on the coast and seeing the ocean, or sea in my case. I put my hand in the water, so I can now way that I have been in the Baltic Sea, kinda...haha. That evening, since it was All Saint's Day, which is a huge holiday here, everything was shut down and the city was practically empty, we went to a graveyard to see the graves with all the candles. It was beautiful. People seem to have gigantic headstones here, most with huge crosses on them. It's like an entire graveyard of all the like richest people headstones that you usually see in America. I was just hit with a wave of sadness for all these people who died without knowing the truth. I guess it's a sign of love for the people, but it was sad nonetheless. A tiny bit of insight into how Heavenly Father feels for all His children.
We almost had alesson with a kid, but he spoke practically no Lithuanian, so we tried for a bit to communicate in slow Lithuanian, while he spoke Russian, but to no avail.
Met with three less actives this week, one Elder Whicker has been trying to meet with almost since he came to Klaipeda, about six months ago. He believes the Book of Mormon is true, but not that there is just one true Church. Not really sure, how he came to that conclusion, but hopefully we can help him resolve it.
A man came up to us, very grateful, telling us he had just returned from England. He loved the Church because he lived there, and they paid for his bills, food, and cigarrettes. He wished us good luck and then as we walked away, called back to us asking for a cigarrette, which is a fairly common occurance actually. We decided after that, that he was probably a bit confused about which Church we represent.
Also contacted a satanist, who hissed at us. We talked with an Estonian sailor for awhile in broken English about communism, the God, and true. It was an interesting and entertaining conversation.
Yesterday was the Lithuanian District conference, for all the members in Lithuania. It was very good. It's fantastic to be able to see growth and more understanding in the language. It was also good to be able to see members and the other missionaries. President Dance spoke about member missionary work, which is great adn I hope helps the members to reach out and help us find prepared people. His last line was stinging though, "there are far too many empty seats here today". President Dance isn't one to mess around. He just lays it down.
Lithuania is, as always, wonderful. I lvoe the language, people, culture, everything. I appreciate your prayers and pray for you. Thanks for the birthday wishes, I also cannot believe that I am turning twenty. Blows my mind. Elder Whicker and I have come to the conclusion that time doesn't really exist, since it doesn't seem to follow any set pattern, but just fades away into nothingness.
Love,
Vyresnysis Conor Hilton
PS I'm pretty sure Trey is home, since he left in October, and I think Devin left in February. So crazy. Dylan's already been gone more than a year. That just rocks anything that I thought was reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment