Map of Lithuania

Map of Lithuania
So you can follow where Conor's mission takes him!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Labas Visiems,
Transfer wise, here's what happened: Nothing. I am still in Klaipeda, with Elder Whicker, which is wonderful. Elder Manning, who was in Vilnius my first transfer and was Elder Whicker's MTC companion, is now the district leader here.
Answers to your inquiries: Yes, we have normal showers. More or less. They all have the heads with the hose deal, so you can lift them up and move them around, but they work like a normal shower.
The branch here in Klaipeda is quite small. It's also combined Russian and Lithuanian, so we sing in both languages, switching so that we have two hymns in one language and then one in the other. The talks are sometimes translated into Russian by a member for the people that don't really speak Lithuanian. Priesthood is very small, about six priesthood holders and then another man who comes every week, but is not a member. There's a lot of old women, in various levels of activity. Youth wise, there's one priest, and then three or so young women. Then for primary there are probably three to five kids. As far as I know they don't have a Primary program here.
This week we finished watching conference in English and started the Priesthood session in Lithuanian. Priesthood was wonderful. All the talks were just fantastic. I especially enjoyed Elder Kearon's. It was just beatuifully written. I would highly recommend it, for those of you who couldn't or didn't go.
We met with Ainis. Talked about studying the scriptures, like always it went really well. I hope his mother will soon allow him to be baptized.
We found a lesson while harvesting with a young guy, about our age. It went really well. He seemed more engaged than most people and hopefully will continue his interest.
Interesting little event we saw this week: An old woman was bent over by a path holding some chunks of grass, left over from just being mowed. She then spit on the ground, covered it with some of the grass, spit again, dropped the rest of the grass and then crossed herself, before walking on down the path.
Had a couple opportunities for service this week. We helped an old member buy groceries, which usually the other companionship does, but they were unable to due to travel for transfers. We also helped a family move. Taking essentially everything out of their house, counter, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, TV, huge cabinets, bed/couches, etc. Loading a van, unloading it, and then moving it into their new house. It was quite the experience. Which reminds me of a little oddity about Lithuania. No one has dryers here, they all use a clothes rack to dry their clothes.
This week we called a bunch of less actives, trying to concrete the branch list, and set up a few meetings, found out some things, but most importantly a huge amount of people were at church, that were usually not, so that was sweet.
Elder Whicker and Elder Manning are gone for a few days to Riga for training. So Elder Rich and I are companions.
Elder Rich and I met with Ieva, a nine year old girl, who has come to Church for a while and wants to get baptized, but her grandma, won't really allow it. It went realy well, she knows quite a bit, especially for a nine year old.
Couple other random things, I dreamed in Lithuanian, which is said to show fluency, so that's way sweet. I also started to wear my winter coat, paltas in Lithuanian. I feel kinda like I'm in the Mafia, especially wearing a scarf and the dress gloves I bought. It's a quite powerful feeling actually. Kinda weird, but cool. I mean I've always wanted to be in the Mafia, except for like all the illegal and immoral stuff they do.
Lithuania is still awesome, of course. I love everything and always strive to enjoy what I'm doing and where I'm at. I appreciate your prayers and news and pray for you. Hope everything keeps going well in all you do.
Love,
Vyresnysis Conor Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment